Friday, May 2, 2008

Art Therapy

After a week of not feeling great, I decided to just do art today and see if that would improve things. Ever have weeks like that? If you live in Tennessee, you know how the weather can change hourly. The barometric pressure has been killing my neck and a headache has been my constant companion most of the week. One of my medications has made me feel sleepy and I hate feeling like I'm missing out on a perfectly good day. Today I've tried Tylenol and chocolate peanut M&Ms for the headache and spent most of the day in my art room.

I've been very introspective lately. Maybe it's because I'm getting older or because my parents are getting older. Maybe my baby getting her driver's permit did it. I don't know. It might even have been some forms I had to fill out. They always want to know what you do...what is your occupation? I haven't gotten a traditional paycheck in years. So what IS IT I do, I ask myself. The little blank is maybe two inches long and I do more than that but how can I express what I do? Mother, check. Wife, check. Friend, check. I'm tempted to put "artist" but never do...why is that I wonder. I've often heard that artists are moody so maybe I do qualify. But I put n/a....no answer. So I have no occupation but I stay busy. At the end of the day, I sometimes wonder what I accomplished. And I sometimes wonder how I arrived at where I am. So today I decided I'm taking the day off from my 'no occupation' life and just do art for me. My mood may explain the art.

The photo is of course me. I seem to be in deep thought even then. The quote is from an Oxford Impressions sheet called "School Days". The die cut scrolls are from Debbie's Die cuts. I put random amounts of the product 'Touch of Texture' on the die cuts and allowed them to dry. I added color with a chalk ink pad.

My day of art therapy turned things around. The M&Ms didn't hurt either.

6 comments:

Michelle W said...

I do understand about those weeks. Glad your day got better. The art piece is great. I do think you should put artist..you are there.

Debbie said...

Yes, definately "artist"...I love all your work Dianne...Thanks for showing off my swirls and flourishes...they are a fun die cut to use...hugs, Debbie in Georgia

Nathalie Thompson said...

How about "Artistic Mom"? I think I put "homemaker". Nothing to be ashamed of! I bet I can outbake and out cook any full time working woman (and my husband appreciates that!) I have to admit though, I was in denial for along time when my art free-lance first dried up. I considered myself, "self unemployed" instead of admitting that, gosh darn it, I was a stay at home mom!

Robyn Phelan Sharp said...

obviously I'm having one of those nights...4:30am and I'm surfing blogs...the weather has given me fits...lovely piece...I did one of my son today...will post later.

Laura said...

Art therapy really works! I'm a chronic migraine sufferer, I know about it! If you'd like an incentive to be encouraged and inspired, I invite you to join us on my challenge blog! It really helps me to be a part of an ongoing artistic community. Welcome to CPA!
Warmly, Laura
http://www.layersofcolor.com/challenge/2008/05/02/friendship-skinny/

Musing of a Patched Heart said...

Dianne, Your comment to my blog really blessed me. I am glad to hear when something I take time to write down fills something in someone else. I am so glad to hear it was just what was needed! Just wanted you to know I you are not alone! Keep looking heavenward, Heather