Saturday, June 14, 2008

Father's Day Card

I'm fortunate enough to still have my daddy and wanted to make a special card for him. I have always treasured this small photo of him and decided to use it on the card. All die cuts used are by Debbie's Die Cuts and can be purchased at http://thestudioinpreston.blogspot.com/ .
I began by painting the frame diecut with flat black acrylic paint. Once the frame was dry, I ran it through my Wizard using a Cuttlebug embossing folder. After allowing it to dry, I sanded the raised design very gently using fine sanding paper.

Once I was satisfied with the amount of white peeking through, I began adding color using Distress inks (mustard seed, tea dye) and metallic rubons in various shades of gold, bronze and copper. Both accent diecuts were colored with the tea dye Distress ink and additional color was added with the rubons. The photo has a lot of yellow tones in it and I tried to tone it down just a bit by sponging a bit of tea dye onto it.

I computer generated "Happy Father's Day" and went over it with distress ink as well. The framed piece was mounted onto a copper color linen card. The diecuts took on a leathery appearance which is perfect for this card.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I love it...Oh my gosh...that "faux leather" effect is great...You have given me a great idea for some old photos I have...hugs, Debbie in Georgia

Michelle W said...

great card...I love how you used a picture of him...I somthing similar for my Dad but with pictures of me...