Saturday, July 12, 2008

Saturday Review

This has been a very busy week. It would make me tired to even type about it but it has been a very productive and fulfilling week and I feel very content! I've had a few minutes here and there to just play and I'm finding myself using small canvases over and over. I bought them by accident thinking they were the correct size for a swap I had joined. They turned out to be the wrong size (3"X4") but I think they're my favorite size to play with for now. I've also noticed the recurring theme of friendship showing up in my art time. It's such a gift to have friends! I was delighted this week when my daughter asked me to drop her off to meet friends for lunch. I'm not talking McDonalds, they went to a really nice place and "did lunch". When it comes to friendship, she is years ahead of where I was at her age. Oh, I had friends but I didn't take the time very often to just be with them. There was school and work and then babies and...well, it was always something. After Clarissa was born, we made the decision I'd work from home...remember the old dial up your modem and work from home. Well, I tried doing accounting and bouncing Clarissa on my knee for about a year and something had to give! I became a full-time stay at home mom and I suddenly realized that I had no friendship network. None. There was no one to go to lunch with! (Well, of course DH, but I'm talking girlfriends here!) I had been busy doing important things but I had done a very poor job of maintaining friendships or making new ones. Fast-forward fifteen years, and I can happily say I have learned what my daughter already knows. Good friends are important.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

In the 1st place, your art in ths post appealed to me because I love art that uses words as imagery & not just text. Secondly, your post got me thinking. I'm going through some major shifts in my relationships and being intentional about my social time is something I need to do right now.

Michelle W said...

Aren't daughters great teachers. Mine has taught me so much about just being who you are. I have gone the same phases you have. In the last fews I have been trying to built back up the girl friends. I really enjoy having the girls to hang out with and just talk to.