Monday, August 4, 2008

Cuttlebug and Fabric Experiment

I used fabric as another example of the Cuttlebug folders' possibilities. The scan doesn't do a great job of showing the embossing detail, but in person, the embossed patterns are very distinct. I chose lightweight cottonblend fabrics. The red has spotches of red shades and the brown is a solid shade. The first step was to stiffen the fabric so it would hold the embossed pattern. Crafter's Pick Fabric Stiffener was the product...actually the only product...I could find locally. Each swatch of fabric was placed on wax paper and I used my finger to rub the stiffener into the surface. I then turned the fabric over and worked the stiffener into the back as well. After the fabric was completely dry, I ran it through CB folders just like paper. Note that the center sample is mounted on cardstock. I did this just to see if the embossing would hold up better verses no backing. Time will tell.

I love the texture of the treated fabric. It is somewhere between vinyl and leather and although 'stiff', it can definitely be manipulated. My next experiment will be to use these pieces on a project and to see how it endures. Also, the fabric stiffener didn't seem to affect the color of the red fabric but it did darken the brown. Be sure and test your fabrics if color is important. More later...

4 comments:

Michelle W said...

I have stiffened fabric to use for ATC's and other projects. I used the good old fashion liquid startch from the grocery. It has held up well. Just thought you might like to know. I did the same thing you did with the wax paper and then I applyed with a foam brush. Let it dry and reapplied a second coat.

Rosemary said...

Hi Dianne,

Thanks for sharing. I love the cuttlebug folders in my wizard but hadn't tried fabric yet. I'll bet the look is really rich in real life. The metal tape ones are really nice as well. I'll have to give it a try.

Rosemary

Dianne Adams said...

Hey Michelle,
I wondered about using regular starch. Thanks for the tip!!

Radiogirl said...

Very nice idea. I may try the regular starch. Can't wait to see your projects.