Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Traveler

This is the second of eight pieces to be featured by Rock Candy Studios this month...Thank you Rock Candy! Vintage photos inspire me and I often imagine a story behind the picture. Sometimes a quote comes to mind. This 'old man' as he is affectionately called on Rock Candy's Manly Man CD (soon to be released) really spoke to me. As someone that has lived a long time, the journey was surely an interesting one. I decided to use the following quote by Ursula K LeGuin:

It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end.

The base is a canvas board with two holes drilled into the board for hanging. I love texture and I use a variation of the same technique in much of my canvas work. I put down a coat of acrylic paint and add pieces of tissue paper with gel medium. After allowing this to dry it is lightly sanded and another layer of tissue paper and paint follows. I continue adding layers until I'm satisfied that it is ready. With this piece I added a bit of torn map and glazes to tone the map down. Rock Candy products used for The Traveler are: image, black baroque border, rusty wire, nameplate and ticket stub.

2 comments:

liveart said...

This is soooo cool! Love it!!

gale said...

Really loved the look of this piece..The artwork is perfect for the quote.
Gale