Sunday, November 22, 2009

Autumn Book - Not Quite Finished


Art club retreat was last weekend and I used part of the time to work on this book that I had already started.  I'm still not finished!  The plan is to add embellishments to the front and I'm looking for the perfect ones before plunging on.  The covers are dyed muslin with dyed paper towels layered and sewn on.  I used a liquid sealer over the paper towels to add strength to the paper and the result was one I like.  The paper towel surface looks a bit leather-like and there's a sheen that is in contrast to the muslin.  The edges are finished with a blanket stitch.


For the teal book that I posted a while ago, I went strictly by Traci Bautista's instructions in her "Collage Unleashed" book (which I love).  But this time around, I decided to take the steps in a different order.  With the first book, I had problems sewing the book pages and spine to the book after adding all the fibers to the latch hook material.  For this book, I layered the muslin and paper towel onto the silence cloth and then sewed the latch hook material to the front and back.  The painted paper page signatures were sewn into a piece of interfacing as Traci's directions call for.  To the interfacing flaps, I went ahead and added the fabric that lines the inside of the covers.  Being sure to leave enough room to latch hook, I sewed the pages and fabric lining to the inside of the book and trimmed the fabric overhang from the cover.  Forgive me if this is clear as mud!  The advantage of this method is that I didn't have to deal with the bulk of the latch hook fibers while sewing the book together. 

A glance inside the book...

You can see a bit of the inside of the covers. I used a purchased fabric for this one. 

One last shot of the inside. 

I love the look of the latch hook spine and it really is pretty easy though time consuming.  Here's a shot below of the spines of the two books I've finished so far...  They sit on a shelf and I love walking by and seeing all those beautiful colors.

What will I do with these?  I think I'll just enjoy the colors and the papers.  As someone said, they're like paper sample books and they're just fun to look at.  I started a third book at retreat and I plan to do the pages a bit differently.  Hopefully, there will be more open space on the pages for writing.  Later...

3 comments:

Candice Windham said...

Diane, These books are gorgeous. You are sooooooo talented! I am so proud to own one of your creations and keep it displayed in a safe place in my studio. Those who have seen my studio know why I say "safe place". Things tend to get lost in the black hole!

Linda said...

I love this, Diane. I've never seen the latch hook material used for this before! It's brilliant! You just tied the ribbons in I'm guessing!!!!!

! said...

Linda...it's brilliant but not my idea! It came from Traci Bautista's "Collage Unleashed". The ribbons and fibers are pulled through like a latch hook rug. I'd never latch hooked before but this was pretty easy once I got the hang of it.