Sunday, November 22, 2009

Blue Book



The event that I look forward to every fall is the TennGRITS' art retreat.  We've been doing this for years now and I think we just keep perfecting it. There aren't many events in Tennessee that cater to the mixed-media artist, so it's a real treat to be a part of this art group.  This year's retreat was the best yet and plans are already underway for next year's project!  I worked on the autumn book that I previously posted and started another one in blue.  I hope to do some journaling in the blue book rather than just having decorative paper. 



The beginning: I decided to go with cool shades of blue and see where it would lead.  I've added some soft lavender, gold and brown.  The brown on the pages will get glazed over to soften the look.  The designs on the covers were either stamped or stenciled using gesso on dyed muslin.  My desire is for this book to reflect faith, calm, and security.



Here's a few glimpses of the pages I've worked on so far.  There's still some glazing and additional layers to go plus many more pages to be made.  I decided instead of doing complete sheets and then ripping them down to book size, I ripped first and then treated each piece as a page.  By doing this, I was able to do some sewing on the pages and used that as part of the design element.











I'll post the book when it is completed.  Later...

No comments: