Friday, November 27, 2009

Sisterhood Book Published



I did the happy dance last week when I came home to a complimentary copy of Somerset Studio's Winter 2010 Gallery. My "Sisterhood" altered bookboard is featured in the Special Book Section.



The images and quotes were printed directly on muslin and heat set with an iron. The vintage images are all from Rock Candy Studios. Rock Candy has a variety of supplies for mixed media art as well as image CDs and sheets.



This shot shows the shape of the bookboard.  The back of the bookboard is longer than the rest of the pages and that is what initially attracted me to this particular board book.  I wanted to put something on the extended page that would tie the book together since it is visible at all times.  "Sisters are different flowers from the same garden" -Author Unknown- was the perfect quote and cutting the muslin into an oval shape made it a bit more interesting.





Various fabrics were ripped and attached to the book board using gel
 medium.  Lots of handstitching went into this book as well and I enjoyed every stitch! 
       
 






Buttons, beads, flowers and charms all add to the book's appeal.  All muslin pieces are backed with quilt batting.



 It's always a thrill to have something published.  I hope you enjoyed looking!

10 comments:

Linda said...

Congratulations! That is SOOO wonderful! I'm very happy for you....what a joy!

Shelly Hickox said...

This is so gorgeous Dianne! I am so happy that they published it!

Home of the Fairy Smasher said...

What a beautiful book! Congratulations on being published!

Artifice said...

Dianne,

Congratulations on your book being published!!!!! Your book is incredible! I had an angel book published in a Somerset Gallery a number of years ago and I was so excited. I love your blog too! Thank you for sharing so much of your work!

Linda

Roxi Phillips said...

WOW, Dianne! This is so awesome! I can hardly wait to get my hands on a copy. I hope they'll hit the shelves very soon. You are such a talented artist and we are so honored to have you on our design team! My Mom and my aunts will be so surprised to see themselves in this issue!

Nathalie Thompson said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Very exciting! Gorgeous book!

I sent some art to Somerset just a couple weeks ago and hope it will be published SOMEWHERE in their pantheon of publications. Any advice on the suspenseful waiting?

Aimeslee said...

Awesome, you are so talented! I don't do fabric (yet), but your deli paper backgrounds are so inspiring to me.

xoxo,
Aimeslee

Ashlyn said...

Your sisterhood book is AMAZING!!! And congratulations on being published!!! :)

Hugs, Ashlyn

P.S. Thanks for your thoughtful comment on my blog!

Margaret said...

Congratulations, what a fab piece of work!! M

Mary Patterson said...

Dianne,
I am SO excited for you - what an honor! First timer to your site & I must tell you that when I first clicked on it, my MOST favorite song was on, 'Come to Jesus.' How wonderful that you are so BOLD in your witness! I love it - thanks for your sweet example AND your creativity! BLESSINGS...
Mary Patterson
http://MarysCottageTreasures.com/