Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Memories

With Christmas preparations and work, I haven't blogged much this month.  This morning in the quiet, I took in the tree and the decorations, and I realized how many memories are represented on the tree each year.  I thought I'd share a few...



Isn't this the most perfect wreath?  I admit I can't remember if it was Tyler's or Clarissa's but I cherish it either way.   It sure brings back some fun memories of both of their elementary school years. 



Another elementary school decoration and this one is Clarissa's.  Popsicle sticks, buttons, wooden cutouts and fun foam...does it get any better?  So to all those teachers that take the time at Christmas for ornament making: thank you! 




I made nine or ten of these in 1983 which was during my cross-stitch phase!  This one was for my husband but I also have one that says "Baby-Boy or Girl?"  Pregnant with my oldest, I wouldn't know until he arrived what we were having.  Ultrasounds weren't used as freely as they are now so the mystery remained until April when we welcomed Tyler.



This ornament is just two years old but the picture was scanned from when I was five years old and my brother was only two months old.  I'm still working on a series of family star ornaments and the collection grows each year.  Thanks to my friend Jane Harrison for the idea.



Another school memory and this one is from Tyler's high school years.  He loved doing stats and helping with the girl's volleyball team and this ornament always reminds me of those times.  He's gone on to be a TSSAA volleyball referee as well as a certified national line judge.  Good memories!



This is one of my favorites and it was a gift from my friend Pam Seavers.  The photo is of a young 'me', but the work is all Pam's.  I think of her and the sweet person she is every year when I hang it plus I love the ornament...thanks Pam!



This is a 5X7 clear acrylic box frame and it was Clarissa's gift to give at our annual art club gift exchange.  The insides of the box are coated with gesso and covered in glitter.  The snowflakes are from a Martha punch and the whole thing is glittered.  When I see something Clarissa has made, I'm reminded of how she used to stand in the door as I'd drive away to club and now she's old enough to go with me.  This piece is sitting on the mantle...just a bit big for the tree!



The last shot I'll share from my morning musings are of the snow men that also grace my mantle.  "Peace" and "Joy" were made by art club friend Allison Revetta.  The snowflake snowman was another Clarissa gift.  These were big last year when Cloth Paper Scissors featured the bottle snowman on their holiday cover.



From my home to yours, Merry Christmas. 
May your happy memories be many!

2 comments:

michelle said...

Thanks for sharing. I just couldn't do my sentimental tree this year. That is the tree that takes me about 2 hours or more to do. i reflect on the past and just where i have been and how big my kids are now. Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and Wonderful 2010.

Sharon said...

Hi Dianne!,
What a lovely trip down memory lane you have shared with us. It is so wonderful to have all this little objects that bring back the best events with the people we care most about. Hurray for rituals!

All the best in 2010!
Sharon
PS Thanks for visiting my blog. Wore my jacket last night ~ very exciting.