Friday, January 1, 2010

It's A New Year

"We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls." - Mother Teresa

No, I'm not becoming a hermit in 2010.  But I will come to terms with my need for solitude and embrace it as often as I can.  Hopefully, it will be guilt-free.  That's another area I need to work on.  Solitude with guilt isn't really very rewarding and the purpose is pretty much defeated.   I'll never be the life of the party; the truth is I usually don't even want to go to the party.  Can you tell I turned 50 this year?  It's time to be honest.   I don't want to do the expected anymore; I want to be myself.  My best work is created in solitude, my best decisions are arrived at in solitude and I thrive in solitude.  My head clears and my mood improves after time alone.  I'm a better person when I give in to being the way God created me instead of fighting to be someone else.  And if it makes any sense at all, I'm much more sociable if I get my solitude!

So here's to a wonderful 2010!  May God bless us all.

6 comments:

Joyce said...

I so totally agree with you. If I don't get some alone time I get to a point where I can't think anymore. And the older I get the more solitary time I need. Sometimes being a part time hermit is not such a bad thing. Happy New Year!

Sharon said...

I agree with you, Dianne, and I love that quote. It's soooo true.

I need a lot of solitude too, and I haven't had any in a long time. I love my family and people, but, sometimes, I just get tired of hearing all the noise and chatter. I can only think and feel close to God in solitude and quietness.

Hubby used to work away from home and I was always getting berated for being a hermit by family and friends. I was getting things accomplished then. I don't understand people who can't stand to be alone with themselves for five minutes! I love people, but I love spending time with myself too. :)

Here's to guilt-free solitude and a Happy New Year to you and yours!

Nina and/or Ruthie said...

Thanks for your post. I really take solitude for granted, since I live alone. I spend most hours of the day by myself, so solitude is a given and I never considered feeling guilty about it. Everyone needs some alone time. I'd go crazy without it. Happy New Year to you! (I saw your post in Collage Cats yahoo group.)Solitude is a great word!

Nina in San Diego

Musing of a Patched Heart said...

Amen Diane! Wow I can totally relate I love this quote you used by Mother Theresa so powerful! I hope you find peace living 2010 as God created you to be. Thanks for sharing your true self!

Trudy Callan said...

Some quiet time alone is a time for recharging one's batteries and regrouping. We all need to set aside that time.

Lorraine said...

we all need some peace and quiet in our lives that is why I get my best creative ideas after taking a walk in the park or doing a yoga class..then the mind clears