Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Ceramic Hearts


Several years ago, I purchase a book called Fanciful Furniture: Decorating with Paint by Anita Rosenberg.  I love painting furniture and this one really caught my eye for inspiration.  The author also paints ceramic accessories using acrylic paint instead of the traditional method of glazing and firing using a kiln.  When I saw some ceramic hearts at the local hobby store, I knew I had to use them for a valentine swap.


The hearts were painted with red acrylic which was slightly watered down.  The hearts really soaked up the paint and I found it easier to work with several thinner layers of paint.  I used a rubberstamp for the design and stamped using white acrylic.  I didn't really like the starkness of the white and went over the hearts with a light coat of Folk Art's oak stain.  The stain is waterbased.  A clear coat of varnish, a ribbon and a button completed the hearts. 

6 comments:

Joyce said...

Too cute!

Aimeslee said...

Really really pretty, Dianne. I a, amazed that ceramic can be painted that way. Guess the varnish keeps it from chipping off. One day I will have an opportunity to try it and now am armed with the knowledge, thanks. xoxo

Dianne said...

Hey Aimeslee,
I think because the ceramic has not been glazed and fired it works. It's very porous.

Betzie said...

These are precious! Love the button and they look good enough to eat!

Trudy Callan said...

I just love those hearts. You have a really awesome blog. Happy Valentine's day to you. My family and I made some really neat heart bags. I hope you'll come and take a look and look around the blog a little while you're there and see if it's one you'd like to bookmark so you can come back. It's kind of new, but I have lots of great things planned. So stay tuned. Thanks, and have a great day.

Trudy

www.artisticcreationswithtrudy.blogspot.com

Deborah said...

Wow! I had no idea you could use acrylic in that way. Really glad to know that. Love, love, love the hearts.