Monday, July 25, 2011

Painted Fabric Checkbook Cover

yellow and pink acrylic
I recently painted several pieces of muslin fabric for a project.  Combinations of yellow and pink and lavendar and pink were the colors used.   A piece of specialty scrapbook paper by KI Memories was used as a stencil.  The acrylic paint seemed to work best when watered down and the individual colors were allowed to dry before adding another color.

Unable to find a top-stub checkbook cover that I liked, I decided to make my own using a piece of the lavendar and pink muslin.  I measured around the open checkbook and added about 1/2 inch on all sides.  The fabric was ironed to heavyweight interfacing and then randomly topstitched with straight stitches and zig-zag.  I used my old machine and these are the only stitches that work!  The front was stamped with a couple of images from a Stampin' Up set and then touched up using a paintbrush. 

The inside is lined with black and white gingham.  A small loop was added for a pen.

A 3 inch tall piece of fabric was used for tucking the checkbook into place.  Black bias tape finished off the edges.  I'm wondering if this cute little cover will make paying bills more fun!   Later...

Friday, July 15, 2011

Art Zine Swap

I love a good swap and I enjoy trying new things so the zine swap here was something I couldn't resist.  I'm glad I didn't resist and I'm even happier to be finished!  The project consumed all my art time for several weeks.  That's not a complaint - just the fact.  The amount of time involved came as a surprise.  Of course I knew it would be a big effort but was still surprised at how much time it actually took.   Now I'm looking forward to getting the swap back and enjoying the work of others.  With twelve participants, there's going to be lots to enjoy.