Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Altered Train Case


 It seems that everyone is altering train cases these days.  I met with a group of art friends this past weekend and brought along this great vintage train case that I purchased on eBay. 


I had a great time using acrylic paint with stencils and decorative paper.  StazOn black worked great for stamping a Magenta image onto the metal. 


I made a fabric cover for the handle using a tutorial found at Little Birdie Secrets.  It's a super simple and quick way to coordinate your handle and add a little something extra.  Be sure and adjust the measurements for your particular handle.  I then added a felt flower in taupe.  

 

The completed case was finished with a taupe glaze and several coats of water-based polyurethane.  This is a fun and functional piece!

4 comments:

Aimeslee said...

One of the bestest luggage pieces ever created! Just carrying it made us feel chic. You did a great job altering it. xoxo

Aimeslee said...

Oh hey, I would like very much to request something -- could you PRETTY PLEASE add a gadget to your sidebar that lets us subscribe by email? There is one already made in your design section. It is the only way I can keep up with my fave blogs if the posts arrive in my inbox...and you may now call me lazy, LOLOL. xoxo

Aimeslee said...

Thank you! I'm your first subscriber! <3

Barbara Moore said...

I absolutely love how that turned out! I've got some old metal suitcases that I'm wanting to do something like this with. thank you for the great ideas.